Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Sectarian: Luzy-Ann Protests With the Klan


PROTEST WITH THE KLAN

INT. CITY HALL   DAY

Luzy-Ann is standing in line to apply for a license to protest in Elderberry Park.  She is president of the Pro-Life chapter in town. 

LAKE (V.O.)
Because of my sister's lack of attention from the opposite sex, they were inscrutable to her, and the more she did not understand them, the more she pretended to.

A white supremacist stands in line after Luzy-Ann.

SKINHEAD
(gruff, scratchy voice)
Hey there, little lady. 

LUZY-ANN
(turns around)
Uh, huh, hi.

SKINHEAD
I noticed you petitioning to hold a protest for the killers of the unborn at the park.

LUZY-ANN
(perks up)
Exactly.  We must protect God's most defenseless children.

SKINHEAD
Well, you know, the Kla-, I mean, the Nation of the White Man's Independence is petitioning for the same day as you. 

LUZY-ANN
Oh, well, may the best man, or woman, or unborn child win, ha, ha.

SKINHEAD
(smiling flirtatiously)
You know, maybe it doesn't have to get to that at all.  You know, there's plenty of space in the public park. Maybe we can share.

Luzy-Ann, who is not accustomed to so much attention from a man, smiles uncertainly.

LUZY-ANN
(unsure)
I don't know.

SKINHEAD
Come-on.  It'll be fun.  Both of our people fighting for the same cause.

LUZY-ANN
The same cause?

SKINHEAD
Sure.


ARE YOU CRAZY, LUZY-ANN?

INT. CAFETERIA   NOON

Luzy-Ann is buying lunch with her friend, Mary-Ann.  She is trying to tell her fellow abortion protester her plans to hold the protest in conjunction with the white supremacists.  Mary-Ann is counting her change and not paying attention. 

MARY-ANN
(gleefully)
Ooh, he gave me ten dollars too much!

LUZY-ANN
(righteously)
You shouldn't look so gleeful.  Aren't you going back?

MARY-ANN
No, it's paying for your lunch, tomorrow.  Remember the time when you ordered out and when you got home you realized they gave you seventy-five cents too much?  Did you go back?

LUZY-ANN
Of course not.  The place was over five miles away and not worth my time.  Besides, it wasn't my fault.

MARY-ANN
What's your threshold level then, to make it worth you while?

LUZY-ANN
(indignant)
Would you listen?  The protest is day after tomorrow and we haven't even half organized. 

They walk to a table while Luzy-Ann continues to explain to Mary-Ann the joint protest of the anti-abortioners and the Klan. 

MARY-ANN
(exclaims)
Luzy-Ann, are you pea-picking nuts?  They're the Klan. 

People look up from their lunch and try to listen in.

LUZY-ANN
(lowering voice)
The Klan doesn't exist anymore Mary-Ann.  They're not really as bad as people cook them up to be.

Mary-Ann groans.

LUZY-ANN
(continuing)
After all.  They're a lot like you and me.

MARY-ANN
(shaking head woefully)
Oh, no.

LUZY-ANN
All they want is the freedom to assemble peaceably, with people of their own choosing.  So what that they prefer their own kind?  If you saw blacks hanging out with only themselves, as indeed you do see in the ghetto, no one would cry segregation now, would they?  And that's exactly what we would prefer, wouldn't we Mary-Ann?  Wouldn't you rather pray with a good Catholic than a Baptist?

MARY-ANN
(trying to control her emotions)
Listen to me, Luzy-Ann.  No one's gonna' come.  I'm not going to come.  I wouldn't be caught dead.  My parent's would kill me!  Luzee...it's dangerous!

Lake walks by and overhears.

LAKE
(curiously)
What's dangerous?

MARY-ANN
Luzy-Ann agreed to hold our abortion protest with the Klan.

LAKE
(almost shouting)
Are you crazy?  Mom and Dad are going to kill you when they find out!

LUZY-ANN
Who's going to tell them?

LAKE
I am!  To stop you from hurting yourself and anyone who might be foolish enough to join you.  Luz, you, you ...Ugh!...
walks away.


LUZY-ANN
(calling after Lake)
Why are you blaming slavery on me?  I'm not even white!  You put my kind in labor camps just so you could build your choo-choos!


YOU'RE GROUNDED

INT. KITCHEN   EVENING

The table is set for dinner.  Luzy-Ann is trying to get Lake to keep her mouth shut about the protest. 

LUZY-ANN
(almost whisper)
You'd better not tell.

LAKE
(louder whisper)
Why not? 

LUZY-ANN
Because I'll tell them about how you snuck out of Sunday school to meet Johnny-Lee. 

LAKE
Go right ahead.  They know anyway.  We ran into Mom bringing the plates for the church potluck while we were sneaking out.  She told us to have a good time.

LUZY-ANN
(warning tone)
Lake...
LAKE
You'll thank me for this someday.

The family sits down to dinner in the kitchen.  Aunt Tatem hobbles in slowly. 

LUZY-ANN
Mother, there's going to be an abortion protest this Saturday at the park.

VIOLET
(raising her utensils)
Remember to be careful.

LUZY-ANN
Oh, I will.  Seeing as it's going to be real crowded.

VIOLET
Oh, were you able to round up more friends this time?

LUZY-ANN
Well, in a manner of speaking, Mama.

LAKE
(blurts out)
She's marching with the Klan!

VIOLET
What! Luz!

LUZY-ANN
Well, they were petitioning for the same time as we were, and instead of risking not being able to protest...I'd thought you'd like the compromise.  You're always saying we can't have everything perfect.

VIOLET
(still holding her knife and fork frozen)
This is not a slight imperfection.  This is dreadful.

LAKE
Disastrous, I'd say.

Luzy-Ann glares at Lake.

LAKE
(uncowed)
Tell them your brilliant rationalization of how it's okay to march with the Klan.

BRENT
(decisively)
I don't want to hear it.  You're not going.  You might as well call it off.  If any of your friends have even half as much sense as you as you seem to lack, they won't show.  Not after I call their parents.

LUZY-ANN
Yes, they will. 

LAKE
No, they won't.  Mary-Ann's not coming.

LUZY-ANN
Would you shut up, you little
(pause trying to find the right word)
snit!  Why are you always trying to sabotage my plans?  Why don't you support me in anything, any of you? 
(looking around the table)

VIOLET
(trying to calm Luzy-Ann)
We support you honey, but not in doing something you'll regret for the rest of your life, that's dangerous besides. 

LUZY-ANN
What makes you jump to conclusions that they'll automatically start burning crosses again?  They're not the Klan.  They just want to assemble peaceably with their own kind.

LAKE
Of all people, Luzy, I think you'd be most offended by them.

LUZY-ANN
I'm not.  They're nice.  And, and (emphasis) they like me.

All of them look at Luzy-Ann with fear and terror, except Aunt Tatem.

AUNT TATEM
Why not let her go? You always preach tolerance.

VIOLET
They're not about tolerance.  Anything but tolerance. 

BRENT
You're not going Luz.  You'll stay in your room where we can watch you Saturday. 

LUZY-ANN
But what'll the others say when I'm not there! 

VIOLET
There won't be any others.  We're calling their parents.

LUZY-ANN
You can't!  How dare you!  I'm not a child.  You can't just bulldoze me into my room whenever you want.  I'm a person.  I'm an adult.

BRENT
You're sixteen and you don't know what this world is like.

LUZY-ANN
Don't know?  Don’t know?  People stare at me on a daily basis.  At least twice in the morning and four times at night.  I can't go anywhere without being reminded of who I am, or rather, what I'm not!  These people.  They accept me.  They asked me to join them.  No one else does, except when they need a token non-white!  Why won't you let me make some real friends for once!

Luzy-Ann runs into her room and slams the door.

LAKE
Maybe you should start locking her up now. 


LUZY-ANN SNEAKS TO THE PROTEST WITH THE KLAN ANYWAY



~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~

MY OTHER WRITINGS

If you Like Salvador Dali

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would LOVE to hear what you think...