Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Sectarian: Luzy-Ann Disapproves of What Lake is Wearing on Her Date


LUZY-ANN SNEAKS TO THE PROTEST WITH THE KLAN ANYWAY

EXT. ELDERBERRY PARK    DAY

A car screeches into the park's parking lot, located at the edge of the park.  Brent jumps out of the car.  Violet and Lake are in the car.

FATHER
Stay there!

LAKE (V.O.)
But my mother followed him, leaving me in the car. 

Violet runs out of the car.

VIOLET
Stay in the car, Lake!
(slams car door)

LAKE (V.O.)
I too, followed at a distance. 

Lake is rushing towards the protest, fearful.

LAKE (V.O.)
(continuing)
All I could see were their tiny figures.  It was hard to make out what was happening.

Brent is following the protesters, frantically searching for Luzy-Ann.

BRENT
(calling frantically)
Luz!  Luz!

Brent pushes through the crowd.  Violet is not far behind Brent.

VIOLET
(calling desperately)
Luzy!  Brent!

Brent sees Luzy-Ann and catches up with her.  He grabs her arm.

BRENT
Luz, get out of here, and don't argue!

LUZY-ANN
(surprised, scared)
Dad!  You're embarrassing me!  Besides, I don't want to get out of here.  I'm championing Christ and the unborn! 

BRENT
(shaking Luzy-Ann by the arm)
You're picketing with skinheads, people haters, people who hate you! 
(pulling at her arm)

The same skinhead that Luzy-Ann met at the county/city office is walking behind Luzy-Ann.

SKINHEAD
Hey, fella!  Stop harassing the lady.  This is a peaceful march.  Is he bugging you, lady?

LUZY-ANN
It's all right, he's just my Father.

BRENT
We're leaving, now (emphasis).

LUZY-ANN
Dad, no!

SKINHEAD
If the lady wants to be here, she has every right to be.

BRENT
I'm her father.  She's underage.  She's where I tell her to be.

Grumbling begins.  People watching the demonstration begin to jeer and get louder.  Scuffling and pushing begins. 

LAKE (V.O.)
As with all demonstrations that have the potential for violence, whose protesters promise peace, there is always one person who benefits from inciting the violence.  They enjoy someone getting hurt, so long as it is not themselves. 

The crowd becomes erratic.  The police try to keep the protesters and observers in order but the situation becomes uncontrollable.  People get knocked over and scream.  Rioting ensues.


EXT. BURIAL GROUND   DAY

Many mourners say goodbye to Violet as her coffin is being lowered into the ground.  Brent is heartbroken.  Luzy-Ann is dazed. 

LAKE (V.O.)
Father did not last long after.  They were flower children to the core, like two buds on the same stem, Siamese, joined at the heart.

Lake stands alone at her father's grave.  He is buried beside Violet.

INT. BEDROOM   EVENING

Luzy-Ann is feverish in bed.  She is tossing and mumbling incoherently.  Aunt Tatem is wringing wet towels into a bowel and placing them on her head.

LAKE (V.O.)
(continuing)
That winter, my sister grew deathly ill.  It was as if she knew that her only protectors in the world were gone and she was alone to defend herself against the bigotry of an overwhelming town.  In youth, the town was the world.


INT. LIVING ROOM   DAY

LAKE (V.O.)
When Luz got better, she seemed to forget everything.  Completely.

Lake has just come home from a protest against the oil companies that want to drill in Alaska.

Luzy-Ann comes into the living room. 

LUZY-ANN
Promise you won't do it again?

LAKE
No.

LUZY-ANN
It's unpatriotic protesting against your government.

LAKE
What I did wasn't unpatriotic.

She goes to the kitchen to get some food.  Luzy-Ann follows her.


INT. KITCHEN   DAY

LUZY-ANN
You can't show that you're against the government.

LAKE
Newsflash, Luzee, this is a democracy. Or do you not remember your own protests?

LUZY-ANN
(getting a drink from the refrigerator)
I remember, only there are some things one cannot protest.

LAKE
Like the things you don't believe in?
(looks for something in the fridge to eat)
Do you know the true hallmark of a hypocrite?  Their ability to rationalize everything.  Because that's the only way they can continue to believe in their moral integrity.  Otherwise, they'd see themselves as a hypocrite, and then they wouldn't be as big a hypocrite as they were when they actually believed in themselves.

LUZY-ANN
Do you know what's your problem?  You don't care!

LAKE
I care enough to leave people alone when it matters.  You don't need to protest everything.

LUZY-ANN
You don't care enough to fight for what you believe in.

LAKE
I care enough not to fight for things that I don't need people to believe in. 


AUNT TATEM DIES

INT. BEDROOM   EVENING

Aunt Tatem is lying in bed.  She is very ill.  Luzy-Ann is by her side. 

LAKE (V.O.)
My Aunt died shortly after my parents.  Her final admonition to my sister was to look after me.  Given everything, I really wished my sister did not take so much to heart what my Aunt advised. 

AUNT TATEM
When I'm gone, mind you take care of your sister.  Her faith will be shaken more than once, I fear.  She's a skeptic. 

LAKE (V.O.)
And she rolled the word out in such malignant tones of fear that my sister's heart quaked for what might befall my soul lest I waver.  And waver I did.  More than once.


GETTING DRESSED FOR A DATE

INT. BATHROOM   EVENING

Lake is getting ready for a date.  She is combing her hair in front of the mirror.  Luzy-Ann is standing in the doorway, commenting and busybodying about Lake's dress.

LUZY-ANN
Are you sure you want to wear such a short skirt?  Isn't this your first date?

LAKE
It's closer to the knee than the crotch.

LUZY-ANN
Who's this you're going out with anyway?  I haven't seen him at church.

LAKE
He goes to First Presbyterian church.  I accept all god's peoples.

LUZY-ANN
There's something to be said for not being too accepting, Lake. 

Luzy-Ann reaches on the counter for Lake's lip gloss. 

LUZY-ANN
What shade is this?  You should try something subtler for a while until you get to know the boy. 

As Luzy-Ann leans over, she sees something in the waste basket. 
LUZY-ANN
What is this?  (leans over) 

She reaches in and pulls something out.  Her eyes widen in disbelief.  She slowly holds up a tampon wrapper.

LAKE
An applicator. 
(incredulous)
Do you really not know?

LUZY-ANN
(trembling)
What did you do?

LAKE
(defensively)
What do you mean?

LUZY-ANN
What did you do with it?

LAKE
(tauntingly)
I plugged myself with it.

LUZY-ANN
(disbelief)
You what?

LAKE
I plugged myself with a tampon. 

LUZY-ANN
You--how--

LAKE
(matter-of-factly)
I've got my monthlies, and I'm wearing a thong.

LUZY-ANN
You're wearing a what?

LAKE
A thong.

LUZY-ANN
You know I don't approve of your wearing them things.

LAKE
Why not, because they shimmee up your butt and lord forbid you recognize the existence of your ass, much less your asshole.  And that would lead to acknowledging homosexuals and their "peculiar" sex habits, now wouldn't it?

LUZY-ANN
Who taught you this?

LAKE
Taught me what?

LUZY-ANN
How to use a tampon?

LAKE
You need teaching?  They practically show you in the commercials.  All the girls use them.

LUZY-ANN
All the girls aren't going to heaven.

LUZY-ANN
If you didn't use a thong, you wouldn't need to wear a tampon.  They go hand in hand.  And are the devil's handiwork. 

LAKE
(resignedly)
Panty lines.  Can't show them. 

LUZY-ANN
If you wouldn't go hog wild on the chocolate and pizza.

LAKE
Are you afraid I'm going to lose my virginity by using a tampon?

LUZY-ANN
Well, it's something to think about, isn't it?

LAKE
                                    You are--perverted.

LUZY-ANN
I just don't want you letting any men use you, that's all.

LAKE
Men, or a tampon?  Besides, with you around, who dares?  I have to go around begging them to "use me, ple-ease use me."

LUZY-ANN
(dead serious)
Take it out.

LAKE
I'm gone. 
(walks to the front door)

Luzy-Ann follows Lake.

LUZY-ANN
(desperate)
Sis, take it out, please--
(close to tears)
You're desecrating your temple.  You don't know what you're doing to yourself, leaving something like that in you!
(points commandingly)
I want you to take that out, now.

LAKE
I'm late.
(disbelief and not knowing whether to be outraged or laugh) 
Tell me, Luzy-Ann, do you ever accidentally touch yourself when you're wiping yourself after you pee, or is that why the toilet paper roll runs out so fast? 

LUZY-ANN
I did not deserve that!  You apologize right now!

LAKE
I'm sorry, sister dear, what I meant to say was: do you ever touch yourself when you're bathing, or is that what the back scratcher is for?

LUZY-ANN
You cannot put something like that in you.

LAKE
I thought I just did.  At lease it felt (emphasis) like it.

LUZY-ANN
It's reserved for holier things and you are permanently desecrating your temple.

LAKE
(daringly)
You take it out, then.

Luzy-Ann walks determinedly to Lake, who is standing close to the front door.

LAKE
Oh. My God. 

Lake makes a move to run.  Luzy-Ann grabs her and they fall to the ground.

LUZY-ANN
Unh!  This is for your own good.

They tussle on the ground while Luzy-Ann tries to pull down her sister's panties.  Unexpectedly, Lake's date comes to the open door. 

DATE
Wow.  Girl on girl action.  Sisters too.  Can I call the guys to watch?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MY OTHER WRITINGS:

What I Said When I saw Salvador Dali's Metamorphosis of Narcissus

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would LOVE to hear what you think...